Friday, June 27, 2014

Birthday Eve: Last Day of 27!

Good bye 27...28 here I come!
On the eve of my 28 birthday I begin a new blog journey. This blog has been in the making for the last couple of years but I finally had the energy, courage, strength to actually follow through. Thus here I sit in Guatemala City listening to John Legend's "Ordinary People" on the last evening of my 27th year of birth to write my first post. Typically this kind of reflective activity is reserved for the eve of one's 30th birthday but I have survived quite a bit over the last couple of years and have much to reflect on. That being said this first post shall be an introductory post of who and what I am all about or at least what I've discovered about myself so far. Hop on board and join me as I discover more fully who I am, reflect on where I have been, and dialogue about what it means to be UN-BOXED!

Bio (More or Less)
Soy Latina!
Although I have an anglo first name I am fully Mexican-American. My abuelita named me after a english speaking soap opera that she use to watch.

Mis padres son de Mexico y soy muy orgullosa de ser su hija! I speak three languages (Spanish, English, y Spanglish) and I live in Nepantla (Náhuatl term which means "in the middle"). I live in the borderlands of not fully belonging to my country of birth (USA) or my parents' homeland yet beginning to feel fully comfortable in this "in between space." I am also coming to terms with what it means to call myself Chicana. It has taken me years to be comfortable with such a term and so my journey continues. I am beginning to NAME myself!

I am a middle child but never experienced the "middle child" syndrome because I grew up the oldest of the last three. At one point I was an only child raised by my aunt, uncle, and grandmother. I learned my language from my abuelita watching novelas. My abuela is a hard woman to love but she has endured much.

I am studying theology at a seminary and hope to pursue post-graduate studies. I have recently become interested in Feminist Liberation Theologies. Thus some of my post will be my reflections on the many ideas that I am discovering, processing, and working through. #HSP2014

Estoy trabajando con college students who allow me to walk with them through life. That is my greatest joy--to journey through life with students in their pain, joy, doubt, questions, and whatever else they allow me to participate in.

Tambien estoy en una relación nueva. I've been dating someone for about 6 months and its been good, scary, fun, and amazing. I mention this new relationship because I hope to be authentic about my life on my blog and because he may come up in a post. Not only might I blog about this new adventure but about the path that I had to travel to get to this place (divorced--story for a different day).

My blog is entitle Un-boxed because I refuse to allow myself to be categorized as one thing or the other--I am all of these things and more. We like to limit people and place them in various categories that make it comfortable for others but I refuse. As my professor once said in Old Testament theology, "Moses didn't want to know Yahweh's name so he could say who sent him but instead he wanted to control God." Well I refused to be controlled...yo soy quien yo soy...creada en la imagen de la divine.
Amen.

**Since this is my blog and my space I will write in the way in which is most comfortable to me --sometimes english, spanish, spanglish--- and that's just the way it is. **

No comments:

Post a Comment